Tuesday 14 June 2016

2 year check

I had my daughter's two year check up with the health visitor last week. I had to fill out a four page questionnaire before I went about my daughter and all the things she can and can't do now. I was expecting the health visitor to go through it with me and discuss the areas she's behind in, but she merely glanced at it and said nothing... why did I bother filling it out?!

She then tested my daughter on some of the skills that were on the questionnaire. I did wonder at this point if she disbelieved what I'd written or just didn't read it. Luckily Lizzie did play ball... literally and figuratively!!

So then came the chat about food and how fussy Lizzie is. The health visitor then rambled off the standard  suggestions on how to get your child to eat, which we've already tried...
-Eat with your child so they have a model... tick!
-Give your child the same food as you... tick! (But she still won't eat it!)
-Encourage them to try one bite... tick! (She either refuses or spits it out!)
-Don't pressure your child or make them feel uncomfortable... tick! (But she's still not eating!)
-Give them an ice cube tray of snacks with new things and favourites... tick! (She'll eat her favourites and leave the rest!)
-Make the food look fun, create a picture... tick! (She'll smile and talk about it, then pick out her favourite bits!)


So new ideas suggested by the health visitor...
-Let your child go hungry occasionally, she'll start eating then... (Umm no, she'll just starve herself rather than try new things and isn't that a form of child abuse!)
-Bribe her with chocolate... tick! (We tried this one and she has tried a couple of new things this week. I won't count my chickens too soon though!)


The upside of the meeting was she was very impressed with Lizzie's speech and said she was advanced with this... Well done Lizzie!

And well done mummy for raising a "satisfactory" child.  You'd think they could come up with a better word than that wouldn't you?!

Well see you again in two years time health visitor... I'm off to buy some more chocolate buttons!!

No comments:

Post a Comment